09/27/14 (Sat) - 09/28/14 (Sun)
Ash Way P&R
Reference & Data • • • •
- Jurisdiction: North Cascades National Park
- Ranger Station: Marblemount Ranger Station / 360-873-4500
- Equipment: Ice axe, crampons, standard glacier travel gear, light alpine rack.
- USGS Maps: Cascade Pass
- Other Map: North Cascades National Park Complex.
- Time, Elevation gain/loss, Mileage
- Seattle to TH 2.5 hrs
- TH to Camp 4-6 hrs +4,000’ ~5.7
- Camp to Summit 4-6 hrs +1,500’, -600 ~1.5
- Summit to Cars 7-9 hrs -5500’, _600 ~7
Approach • • • • • • • • • • •Drive Hwy 20 E to Marblemount. Take the Cascade River Road and drive it approximately 22 miles to its end at the Cascade Pass Trailhead. Hike the Cascade Pass Trail to Cascade Pass. From the pass continue up to Sahale Arm and ascend to the camp at 7600' at the base of the Sahale Glacier. Follow the approach given on Summit Post to the base of the climb
Climbing Route • • • • •Climb the route in one 100 foot pitch as described on Summit Post.
Descent • • • • • • • • • • •Do a single rope rappel down the S face, then retrace the approach.
Comments • • • • • • • • •This is a strenuous climb as a 1-day trip. A 2-day trip would be more moderate and also allow for enjoying the wonderful views at Sahale Camp. Recommended time frame is mid- to late summer.
Preference given to Everett Basic Climbing Students until 8/21/2014. In addition, please note:
- This is a high-end, exploratory Basic Climb, involving off-trail travel and significant class 3-4 scrambling
- This is not an "easy" climb for folks who are short one climb late season and just trying to graduate
- I will give preference to strong students that have 2 climbs already, but preferably more climbs and who only want this climb to expand their experience, and possib... More
This is not available for registration yet.